What is LoanCrate?
We started LoanCrate to make home-buying simpler and less expensive for lenders and borrowers (us!). Today, mortgage lenders are stuck running their companies on software products built 20 years ago. These products are slow and unstable, and end up costing lenders millions of dollars in other otherwise preventable mistakes every year. LoanCrate solves those problems and more, helping lenders improve the home-buying experience for people all over the country.
Since starting in January 2021, our remote team has raised $9m, grown to 13 people, and launched our first product. And since adopting LoanCrate in June '21, our customers have used LoanCrate to power >$42b in new home loans. As a company, we're on track to be cash-flow positive in 2023.
Our team is a group of people excited to tackle the complexity of the home-lending industry. We care about collaboration, very open communication covering the good & the bad so that we learn from our decisions quickly, and ultimately having fun while we're building. You'll fit in well if you like diving deep quickly!
Our dreams are big and we have much to build! We're looking for senior software engineers to help lead our team in powering the future of home buying in the US (which could entail managing a majority of US home loans every year — financial assets worth trillions of dollars).
We are excited to offer competitive salary and equity for this role.
What to expect
As an engineer at LoanCrate, you'll continue our team tradition by shipping code to production on your first day! Following that, within your first month, you'll dive into your first mission-critical project, such as...
- 🙈 Architecting, building, and launching v2 of our no-code platform that our customers use to digitize their ops workflows and save millions of dollars per year.
- 🤝 Integrating with 3rd-party providers of lending services APIs to generate documents/disclosures, produce automated underwriting results, or prevent fraud.
- 🏗 Architecting, building, and launching the next generation of our job processing infrastructure on AWS to make LoanCrate's back end more observable and reliable.
Nearly all of our code is written in TypeScript. We use React on the frontend, Node/Express on the backend (running inside Docker), GraphQL/Apollo on both sides, and Postgres as our database. We use AWS (ECS, RDS, ElastiCache, SNS, and more) and manage all of our infrastructure with Terraform.
We believe that high engineering velocity drives high product velocity (and, in turn, our success as a company 😄). Keeping this in mind, we've invested heavily in creating a great developer experience that enables engineers to ship fast. Some highlights of our stack:
- ↔️ End-to-End Type Safety - We generate TypeScript types from our Postgres and GraphQL schemas so that when we change our database schema we see type errors in any incompatible frontend React components.
- 🌎 Full-Stack Code Sharing - Our build tooling supports seamless sharing of TypeScript files between the client, server, and other packages in our mono-repo so that we never have to define functions or configuration values twice.
- 🏠 Reproducible Infrastructure - We’ve used Terraform to manage 100% of our infrastructure since day 1 and have configured our CI pipeline to automatically deploy temporary staging environments for every pull request. We use these per-PR environments to get feedback from teammates and test any infrastructure changes using infrastructure that's identical to production.
- 🧪 First Class Testing Utilities - We have a comprehensive library of utilities that mock production-like data and feed automated end-to-end, integration, and performance tests. Our wide-ranging test suite allows us to move fast while maintaining nearly perfect uptime.
Preferred skills and background
(It's okay not to have all of these things - these are just some skills we are excited about!)
- 🔒 A constant and keen eye for security risks — we store and display some of people's most sensitive personal data and need to keep it safe!
- 🎨 A desire to be product-oriented, from thinking through the product implications of what you're building to contributing your unique ideas of how to improve the product.
- 🏙️ Ability to develop readable, maintainable, and effective software architecture patterns that support use of our product by various enterprise customers (each with thousands of employees and their own methods for running their companies).
- 👩🏫👨🏫 Excitement to mentor less senior engineers in both hard and soft skills.
- 🚈 SRE-oriented mindset for developing infrastructure that's reliable, observable, and requires minimal toil to maintain.
- 🌩️ Experience scaling high-throughput distributed systems in the cloud. Bonus points if you're experienced with infrastructure-as-code solutions like Terraform or CloudFormation!
- 🔧 Ability to develop full-stack web app features from design through deployment.
- 🛢️ Experience designing and scaling complex relational DB schemas, as well as figuring out performant ways to store, retrieve, and update such data. Home loans have thousands of data fields 🙃.