Avalanche delivers the deep qualitative insight associated with a focus group, but at the scale of polling. Over the last year, Avalanche has provided transformative insight to dozens of the biggest organizations in progressive politics, to build the understanding necessary to resonate, mobilize and win. We’ve collected millions of data points from hundreds of thousands of Americans, and continue to draw from and create the cutting edge in public opinion research.
About the Role
Avalanche is looking for an engineer who specializes in front-end development — in particular, the ability to build highly interactive, user-friendly, interfaces for the analysis of large-scale qualitative survey data.
- You excel in an early-stage tech startup — you prioritize high leverage decisions, and are eager to both develop brand new tools and to refine existing solutions.
- You thrive on a multidisciplinary team --- you’re able to confidently provide the expertise that sets you apart, and you value the perspective of experts in other areas.
- You are passionate about interfaces to support data-analytics -- and might even have previous experience with text analytics specifically.
- You care deeply about the social, cultural, and political dimensions of our work.
- You understand communication, trust, and morale affect performance above all else.
- You build stuff -- you’ve been a part of a team that’s shipped quality products end-to-end, and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty with whatever a product needs to roll out.
- You’ll immediately have significant ownership over designing and building the software we use to display and interact with our data.
- With support from the scientists and strategists, lead the discovery and development of an interface that smoothly incorporates all of the many elements of our process, including complex statistical models, large volumes of unstructured text, and intelligent visualizations for non-technical experts.
- Support other branches of the company in building tools specific to their work.
- Overall, enable Avalanche to produce more core product, of higher quality, with greater ease, and in less time.
- Engage in user-design internally, and externally, to develop an interface that meets those needs.
Qualifications & Qualities
Successful candidates will have all of the following:
- 3+ years experience as an engineer building mission-critical software
- Experience with UI/UX design is highly valued, but more importantly, we thrive because of a constant drive towards ensuring that we’re building the right tools, and an understanding that that requires a deep curiosity about their use, and users
- Previous experience building interfaces for data analytics, and especially text analytics, will be highly valued.
- We’re currently working with Django on the back end and React on the front, but think Svelte looks pretty cool too. You are very comfortable with these tools, or at least the paradigms.
- With the size of our team, there is always room for a generalist: while not required, the ability to work on the full stack would be very valuable, even if the front end is the clear priority for this role.
This position is based in either Vancouver B.C. or Washington, D.C., so you should be here or able to relocate.
We are committed to building a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
To express interest or refer a candidate, please send a brief note and either resume or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com. We’re looking to close the position as soon as possible so please apply sooner rather than late